Can’t Believe This: Duke Nukem Forever is Real!
The rumors were true: thanks to the work of 2K Games and Gearbox Software (Borderlands), DNF will be coming out for the PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 next year.
Even though most rumors off the internet these days are true, I refused to believe this one in particular because it sounded so absurd and silly. It didn’t seem possible since those series of lawsuits between 2K Games and 3D Realms weren’t ending anytime soon. Well…surprisingly, those lawsuits were actually settled. We have no idea what were the exact stipulations, but 3D Realms wisely gave in and handed over the development reigns to Gearbox Software.
From early gameplay footage over at PAX, the game looks like something out of Borderlands, but I’m still not quite sure. I mean, 3D Realms know their game best and that engine has been tweaked and developed for more than a decade. Gearbox just can’t suddenly jump in into something as complicated as this unless 3D Realms is helping out and handed over all assets of previous development. Additionally, we have no idea who owns the actual property of Duke since sources conflict. Who really owns this IP? 2K Games, 3D Realms or Gearbox Software?
We’ll have more of this story as it develops. Just color me confused right now. Never been a fan of Duke, but after much flack under the expense of DNF I find it sad that it’s still coming out. Long development cycles most likely spell disaster, even under the eye of people as talented as the ones in Gearbox Software.
- Borderlands Developers Speak on Improving Gameplay Experience for Second Game
- Borderlands and Duke Nukem Team up
- Can I Interest You In 10 Minutes Of BioShock Infinite?
- Duke Nukem Forever Demo Coming Soon?
- The Long Complicated History of Duke Nukem Forever
- BioShock 2 Review
- New Podcast and More [Post-mortem] Predictions Coming True!
- Let Us Give Thanks For BioShock
- 3D Realms vs. Take-Two is still on!