In an unpresidented move, DC Comics has announced plans to renumber each and every comic they have in print starting with Justice League #1 on August 31st. From there all 52 superhero comics they put out will be renumbered back to #1. Some titles will be completely rebooted, while others will simply face drastic changes and alterations. The idea is to bring the DC Universe into modern times and make a much more cohesive and flowing universe for all these beloved characters. 50 heros will also see costume redesigned to make the characters more identifiable with today’s setting.
Co-Publisher Dan DiDio said:
We looked at what was going on in the marketplace and felt we really want to inject new life in our characters and line. This was a chance to start, not at the beginning, but at a point where our characters are younger and the stories are being told for today’s audience.
DC’s Senior Vice President-Sales Bob Wayne followed with:
[These issues] will introduce readers to a more modern, diverse DC Universe, with some character variations in appearance, origin and age. All stories will be grounded in each character’s legend — but will relate to real world situations, interactions, tragedy and triumph. Some of the characters will have new origins, while others will undergo minor changes. Our characters are always being updated; however, this is the first time all of our characters will be presented in a new way all at once.
As you can see from the accompanying picture the heroes costumes have only been slightly altered, but altered just the same. More radical changes will likely hit some of the lesser-known characters.
This is major news and will completely change everything we know about DC comics moving forward. If you haven’t been following Flashpoint now would be a very good time to start as the story wraps up on August 31st, the same date as the Geoff Johns and Jim Lee Justice League #1 commences. We’ll have more information as it breaks.
Not only will DC be rebooting virtually the entire DC universe, but the company also confirmed every new book they publish will be available for digital download on the same day and date. This marks the perfect time to get into the format for all you readers out there asking us. All new #1s, all new stories and origins and a new way to purchase your books. What have you got to say about this news?
We’ve got some more details for you.
– Superman #1 will be written by Grant Morrison.
– A new Birds of Prey that will not be written by Gail Simone is in the works as well.
– Teen Titans #1 will be written by Fabian Nicieza.
– Justice Society of America #1 will not be written by Marc Guggenheim.
– JMS will not be involved with Wonder Woman #1.
– Geoff Johns will remain the writer on Green Lantern and we can confirm Blackest Night will remain as part of continuity.
– Hawkman #1 will be written by James Robinson.
– Aquaman #1 will be handled by Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis.
– We can confirm certain events will remain intact, but a large portion will have never existed before.
More details as the news breaks.