Parent Talk: League Bowling is rated E10+ (ages 10 and up) by the ESRB because of alcohol references, comic mischief, and mild suggestive themes. Even the youngest players shouldn’t have any problem with this game given how minor the featured content is.
Plays Like: Virtually every bowling game ever created.
Review Basis: Tried all three gameplay modes.
Details: PS3 version is $8.99 and PSP version is $6.99.
What’s This About: Bowling action comes to the Neo Geo! For a platform that’s renown the world over for its fighter library and Metal Slug, League Bowling was something different, a really fun and exciting arcade bowling game that hit all the right notes.
What It’s Remembered For:
- Three fun gameplay modes including Regulation, Flash and Strike 90. Regulation mode is played just like a regular game of bowling, whereas Flash mode gives players a random point bonus if they get a strike. Strike 90 adds 90 points to their total once a strike is achieved. All around the modes are fairly similar, but extremely fun and fast-paced, which is what you want in an arcade game.
- Lots of options for such an early release. Hitting in 1991 LB allowed players to select the weight of their ball from 9 to 16 pounds and even to choose whether or not their character was left or right handed.
- Somewhat limited single player offering. You don’t actually challenge the computer if while playing alone; instead beating your high score is the name of the game.
- Great presentation values we’ve come to expect from SNK. Whenever you hit a strike the animations go way over the top, which will cause more than a few laughs.
Anything Else We Need To Know?
(Note that all Neo Geo Station games feature online play, PSP versions, region-selecting options for blood and added bounciness, visual smoothers, save states, bug editors, and command lists.)
- Online multiplayer is fun if you can find anyone to play with. It supports up to four players both locally and online, and truly is the game’s best mode.
Bottom Line: Who Should Download This?
Everyone likes a good game of bowling and this one offers some really great arcade action. If you’re going to play online it’s well worth the price of admission. For everyone else, you might find the admission price a little steep for going it alone in the limited single player arcade mode.