Parent Talk: Super Sidekicks is rated E for everyone by the ESRB. It’s an arcade soccer game from 1993 meaning there isn’t anything overly offensive.
Plays Like: Any arcade soccer game.
Review Basis: Won the SNK Cup.
Details: PS3 version is $8.99 and PSP version is $6.99.
What’s This About: Bright, colorful and fun. That was the name of the game for SNK’s first soccer game for the Neo Geo MVS/AES in 1993. It had a somewhat realistic look, but it was the game’s fun and quick gameplay that made it an arcade classic.
What It’s Remembered For:
- Looked so much better than the competition. Back in ’93 SNK was on the top of their game and thanks to the little extra horsepower featured in their hardware they were able to have close up animations whenever the player scored showing the excitement or the disappointment in the characters’ faces. Little touches like these made the game so over the top and better than all others out there.
- Three great modes, SNK Cup, Versus, and Exhibition. All play exactly as you’d imagine them to. Players can select from up to twelve unique teams to see if they have what it takes to win the SNK Cup.
- Teams that don’t just look different, they play different. Each team has different stats from better accuracy at kicking the ball to faster speed when running down the field. Coupled with the four difficulty settings and there’s enough variety here to keep soccer fans happy for a very long time.
- Rules are much looser than the real game allowing players to check their opponents and do pretty much whatever they can to regain control of the ball. Fouls are present for those that are a little too rough.
Anything Else We Need To Know?
(Note that all Neo Geo Station games feature online play, PSP versions, region-selecting options for blood and added bounciness, visual smoothers, save states, bug editors, and command lists.)
- Head online with a buddy, or challenge the world and see if you’ve really got what it takes. Given this game was released on the Neo Geo Station a year ago there aren’t too many players still playing this one, so you’re better off grabbing a friend to challenge.
Bottom Line: Who Should Download This?
Super Sidekicks was the first SNK-developed soccer game and things would only go up from here. It’s great revisiting the game that started it all, but some players may find this one a little too basic by today’s standards. Personally I really enjoyed the challenge and presentation values. I think it’s worth a download for all the SNK faithful.