Sony Officially Closes Its Liverpool Studio
One of Sony’s oldest partners has officially been shut down. Originally known as Psygnosis, the developer was formed in 1984, and hit critical and international acclaim with the original wipEout. Sony actually picked up the developer before they really hit their stride. In 1993 Sony Electronic Publishing acquired the company and in 1999 the studio was officially brought under the European arm of Sony Computer Entertainment and renamed Liverpool Studio. Sony issued a press release explaining the move to shut down the studio.
As part of SCE Worldwide Studios, we do regular reviews to ensure that the resources we have can create and produce high quality, innovative and commercially viable projects in an increasingly competitive marketplace. As part of this process, we have reviewed and assessed all current and planned projects for the short and medium term and have decided to make some changes to our European Studios.
It has been decided that Liverpool Studio should be closed. Liverpool Studio has been an important part of SCE Worldwide Studios since the outset of PlayStation, and have contributed greatly to PlayStation over the years. Everyone connected with Liverpool Studio, past and present, can be very proud of their achievements.
However, it was felt that by focusing our investment plans on other Studios that are currently working on exciting new projects, we would be in a stronger position to offer the best possible content for our consumers.
Our Liverpool Facility will continue to operate, housing a number of other vital WWSE and SCEE Departments.
This should not take anything away from the great work WWS are doing and the incredible games and services that we have made, and continue to make, both for this coming year and further in the future.
So there you have it, a very sad day for one of Sony’s first big first-party studios.
- The Current State of Portable Game Sales
- What Will It Take For You To Buy An Xbox One?
- The Legend of Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses Review
- Sony’s PS4 Taking a Commanding Pre-Order Lead
- The Strange Appeal of Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Warning: Adult Content…Sort Of)
- Canadian Gamers – Episode 34
- E3 2013: Sony Press Conference Live Blog & Stream
- E3 2013 – Canadian Gamers – Episode 33
- E3 2013 – Microsoft Press Conference Live Blog & Stream
- The Ultimate Top 5 Vita Games of All Time List