Here’s a quick list of all the big announcements made during today’s Nintendo Direct.
- Mario and Luigi’s Dream Team releasing in North America on August 11th
- Mario Golf: World Tour coming Summer 2013 (Nintendo highlighted online features)
- Mario Party 3DS announced, shipping Summer 2013
- Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D arriving May 24th, and features a reworked version of the Wii game, making it much more portable friendly. It also includes several new levels, and the original unaltered Wii original for those hardcore enough to give it a spin.
- Yoshi’s Island 3 announced for 3DS, more info to be revealed at E3.
- Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move arriving May 9th
- Pikmin 3 delayed yet again, this time to August 4th.
- Earthbound arriving on the Virtual Console (Wii U) by year’s end. One of the biggest surprise announcements made today.
- Game and Wario arriving June 23rd.
- Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins hitting April 21st for 3DS.
- Animal Crossing: New Lead available on June 9th and there will be an exclusive 3DS XL bundle available for $219.99.
- The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages will be available on the 3DS Virtual Console on May 30th.
- Bravely Default: Flying Fairy confirmed for North American release in 2014 for the 3DS. Nintendo will be publishing the game.
- Latest entry in the Professor Layton series will arrive on the 3DS in 2014.
- Level 5’s Guild series, featuring three unique games will be available in North America on the eShop later this year.
- Shin Megami Tensei IV available for the 3DS on July 16th.
By far the biggest announcement made today was confirmation of a new game in the same world as The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, for the 3DS. The game features the same game world as the one seen many years ago, except all the dungeons have been changed and the storyline is completely different. We expect far more details to emerge at E3, including the official title. Currently the game is scheduled for release this winter.
From what little we saw the dungeons will make use of the 3DS’ ability to display three dimensions with dungeons being tiered instead of flat. It’s possible to have Link blast from the ground floor to the one above, for example. He can also morph into a drawing, in order to move around the walls in 2D, which should provide some extremely complex puzzles and secrets.
I’ll update this story with the official video once it’s made available. Needless to say, I’m super excited about all the announcements made today. Returning to my favorite Zelda will be a treat, playing Earthbound again after all these years will be awesome, and a new Yoshi’s Story, what more could you ask for?!