So let’s recap Nintendo’s latest Wii U releases. This was a Wii U-centric video, but had two 3DS games to talk about. Here’s the whole video:
1) Super Mario 3D World: biggest surprise of the video. We were all expecting something akin to Super Mario Galaxy, but instead Nintendo has opted to follow-up Super Mario 3D Land, which results in the first 3D multiplayer title with four playable characters akin to Super Mario Bros. 2’s feel: Mario, Luigi, Toad, and Peach. It looks like a pretty fun game and follows Mario 3D Land quite well.
2) Mario Kart 8: combines the features of both Mario Kart Wii and 7; bikes and gliders are back, but now the new added feature of gravity comes into play. You can race upside down or on the side.
3) Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS: looks awesome and not that different from the gameplay of Brawl. The 3DS version uses the cel-shaded style while the Wii U upgrades Brawl’s graphics to HD. Biggest surprise is Mega Man being an actual playable character, retaining a lot of his classic moves and weapon upgrades like the slide, Metal Blade, Leaf Shield, and many more. It feels absolutely great to see him again after so long, especially in a Smash Bros. game. The trailer really made him look like a badass.
4) Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze – Retro’s new title is on the loose. It’s going to be a strictly download-only game on the eShop, which is sort of surprising. This is basically an extension to the first DKCR, implementing many ideas that Retro couldn’t fit into the final game like swimming levels. Looks great in action and the dynamic camera is kind of cool. Also, Dixie Kong FTW!
5) The Wind Waker HD: of course we’re all looking forward to playing this. The Tingle Tuner has been redone to involve the actual Miiverse community.
6) 3rd Party Reel: nothing too out of the ordinary that we don’t know of. We all know Rayman and Watch Dogs are coming. Sonic: Lost World has recently been announced too.